Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sister Shopping

The joys of Christmas shopping with children.

We decide on the Mall, as opposed to Target or Walmart, due to the eldest daughters indignant cry of "I'm not buying anything from those places!" (Any item which does not contain a tag embossed with the letters B.C.R.A.E.M.B.O.I.R.E.[characters rearranged for copyright reasons] will not be considered for purchase, even as gifts for others)

We park, and walk through Macys, the youngest wondering off immediately, attracted by the vast array of Nutcrackers on display. Teddy bear Nutcrackers, Nutcrackers as doorstops, Nutcracker goblets, Zac Effron Nutcrackers (ok, I'm kidding, but wow, what a gem of a marketing idea!)

Arriving in the Mall proper, we quickly decide on a plan of action. Andy will take the oldest two to raid the bank, while I wedge myself and the youngest two into the heaving mass of humanity which is Claires.

A little girl is sitting on the chair by the door, waiting to have her ears pierced for Christmas, and as she whimpers in anticipation she is gawped at by people in the line, which is snaking past her and out the shop.

My two youngsters fight over which earrings they are going to purchase for their older siblings. Will it be the bright green turtles? The long dangly ones? The massive hoops? I try to direct them to some tamer displays, but they are not to be moved.

Then we get to the interesting part, where I have to discreetly ask the 10 year old "What do you think your little sister would like from you?" and as she seeks inspiration from the displays of Hello Kitty merchandise, the 5 year old is then asked the same. She is not so subtle. "Would you like this?" She grabs a Kung Fu Panda figure and shoves it under her sisters nose. So much for the element of surprise.

And there is throughout the shopping expedition the continuous drone of children whining "but I want something NOW!" After patiently explaining for the hundreth time that it is entirely possible that Santa will have already got them "this" ( a tinkerbell figure) or "that" ( a belly button ring) I finally snap "If you don't shut up, Santa will not be getting you anything!" and the children leave the store crying.

We eventually exit the Mall, the children clutching their gifts for each other, and I know it is good that they are learning that it is better to give than to receive, but I wonder if the lesson can't be learned just as well using a computer, a mouse and a virtual shopping cart.

1 comment:

Magsm said...

So, I ran across this the other day and it made me think of you.

Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. Psalm 1: 1-2

God will honor you for taking a firm stand your self and seeking wise counsel of God's Word, and the word of others who spend time with the Lord. Remember that phrase I heard that parenting isn't for wimps and honey you are in the trenches today. But you will not always be there. We are also told:

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Corn 7:14

Hope exists and behind all the crazy decisions you see today, God still reigns. I know that watching is the hardest thing to do, but I pray that God will each day restore your strenth and each day renew your spirit and build up your faith.

Just remember, you are not alone on this journey for God has given you trusted friends to support you.

We love you guys,

maggie

About Me

My photo
I have been married to Andy since 1991, we have 4 daughters, 2 dogs, 2 cat, 4 rabbits (and various baby rabbits) and a hamster (not dead). We have lived in the U.S.A since 2000, and are citizens of the U.K. I miss many things about the U.K.(pubs, old buildings, red post boxes, church bells,narrow roads, a good joint of roast lamb with mint sauce, to name but a few) but I have grown to love the U.S.